View Mobile Site
  • Bookmark and Share

The history of Springfield City Hall

POSTED: July 31, 2014 5:18 p.m.
Photo provided/

The H.N. Ramsey Ford Motor Company. Note the tractors and automobiles for sale.

View Larger
View More »

George M. Brinson came into Springfield, building his railroad about 1905, buying large tracts of land and selling lots, creating a big building boom in town. Brinson built his business offices on Laurel Street in 1907. This building is still standing in operation now as city hall in Springfield.

Brinson built his home at 308 South Railroad Ave. very near the Brinson Railroad offices and the depot. This home is still in use as a residence. Third-generation Rahn descendant E.H. “Bubba” Rahn Jr. and his family live there. The house was home for his father E. Harold Rahn Sr. and his grandfather E. Berry Rahn and their families.

By 1916, the railroad offices had been moved to Savannah. Brinson sold Brinson Railroad to the SA Railroad (Savannah and Atlanta Railroad).

H.N. Ramsey Sr. established H.N. Ramsey Motor Company on June 15, 1921 in the former Brinson Railroad building. An advertisement in the Springfield Herald in 1923 offered a Ford Touring Car for $295. Ramsey Motor Company was a Ford dealership and he also sold Ford tractors. The Honorable H.N. Ramsey Sr. also served as a Georgia state senator representing our area.

To be continued next week for the rest of the story on this building …

This was written by Susan Exley of Historic Effingham Society. If you have photos, comments or information to share, contact her at 754-6681 or hesheraldexley@aol.com.

COMMENTS

  • Bookmark and Share

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

 


© Copyright 2010 Morris Multimedia All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...