View Mobile Site
  • Bookmark and Share


Photo Gallery

This concerned mom warns parents about Skechers light-up shoes because they cause second-degree burn

POSTED: July 10, 2018 2:29 a.m.
Herb Scribner/

A New York mother has spoken out in protest of popular light up as they reportedly left second-degree burns on her sun’s feet.

View Larger
A New York mother has spoken out in protest of a popular brand of light-up sneaker shoes as they reportedly left second-degree burns on her son’s feet.

As Fox News reported, the mother shared photos of her son’s feet on Facebook that show the burns. She said the incident occurred after his shoes got wet during the school day.

“When the sneakers got wet that caused them to release a chemical that burnt the bottom of his feet,” mom Sherry Foster told “He did not complain to his teacher. He waited until the next day until he came home to tell us.”

She identified the brand of the sneaker as Skechers “Skech Rayz.”

She said she never experienced such a problem before with the popular light-up shoes.

“His specific shoe, the Skech Rayz, had an on and off switch,” Foster told Cafe Mom. “If parents buy these, I recommend they do not get them wet or jump in puddles. I know kids love them because of the cool lights but be careful.”

She told Fox News there was no warning that these shoes could burn people’s feet.

“I was not warned or had any idea that this could happen, I mean they are shoes made for kids," she said in an email to Fox News. “My son is a trooper. He is tough as tough gets being it was the first day of summer vacation and he has to have his feet wrapped and is unable to play with his friends or brothers."

Currently, those shoes are widely available at multiple retailers.

The shoes cost $50 and will light up when pressed. They are listed as "no longer available" on Skechers' official website.

Skechers emailed a statement to the website Romper, saying that the company’s "footwear products are rigorously tested for safety.”

The company said it "has sold millions of pairs of children’s lighted footwear worldwide and has not had one incident of chemical burns reported."

Skechers said, "Notwithstanding, when Ms. Foster’s Facebook post was brought to our attention Friday, June 29, we immediately contacted her, inquired about her son, and asked her to send us the shoes so we can determine whether the shoes contributed to her son’s injuries."


  • Bookmark and Share

No comments have been posted.

Login to post a comment encourages readers to interact with one another. We will not edit your comments, but we reserve the right to delete any inappropriate responses.

To report offensive or inappropriate comments, contact our editor.

The comments below are from readers of and do not necessarily represent the views of The Newspaper or Morris Multimedia.
You must be logged in to post comments. Login ›

  • There are no articles found.
  • There are no articles found.
  • There are no articles found.

© Copyright 2018 Effingham Herald All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...