Unfortunately, some people have had a bad experience in church. Perhaps your experience was like these.
I don’t remember where I got the list, but here it is: “The Top 10 Signs You’re in a Bad Church.”
10. The church bus has gun racks.
9. Church staff: senior pastor, associate pastor, socio-pastor.
8. Bible version they use: “Dr. Seuss Version.”
7. ATM in the lobby.
6. Choir wears leather robes.
5. During greeting time, people take turns staring at you.
4. Karaoke worship time.
3. Ushers ask, “Smoking or non-smoking?”
2. Only song the organist knows: “We Shall Not Be Moved.”
1. Services are B.Y.O.S.: “Bring Your Own Snakes.”
If your church has two or three of the above qualities, you might want to look for another church. But before you give up on churches completely, remember this: Christ gave Himself up for the church. “Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her” (Ephesians 5:25, ESV). If Jesus considered the church worth dying for, then we ought to consider the church living for.
If a church believes the Bible, preaches Jesus as Lord and loves people, then check it out. The church may not be perfect, but then neither are you. Who knows? you might fit right in.
(Copyright 2013 by Bob Rogers. Email: email@example.com. Read this column each Friday in the Herald. Visit my blog at www.bobrogers.me.)