By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
FSA urges crop insurance for crops
Placeholder Image

Hobby Stripling, state executive director of Georgia’s USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) reminds producers of the need for insurance coverage for crops in order to be eligible for the agency’s disaster assistance programs. Producers must purchase at least catastrophic level of insurance for all insurable crops and/or FSA’s Noninsured Crop Assistance Program (NAP) coverage for noninsurable crops to be eligible.

“Crop insurance is an important risk management tool for farmers, but it’s not available for all crops. That’s why NAP is so important,” said Stripling.

NAP is a federally funded program that provides coverage to producers for noninsurable crops when low yields, loss of inventory or prevented planting occurs due to natural disasters.

Crops eligible for NAP coverage are those for which crop insurance is not available, including fruits and vegetables, aquaculture, pecans, turf grass and forage crops just to name a few. Crops that FCIC deems as ineligible due to practice or yield are not covered by NAP.
NAP applications for coverage must be filed using Form CCC-471 and pay service fees by the application closing date. Application closing dates vary by crop and Stripling reminds producers to contact their local FSA Office for specific crop application sales closing dates.

Stripling also said producers have until July 29 to apply for assistance for 2009 crop losses under the Supplemental Revenue Assistance Payments (SURE) Program. The program provides crop disaster assistance payments to eligible producers on farms that have incurred crop production or quality losses.

The SURE program takes into consideration losses on all crops grown by a producer nationwide. To be eligible, producers must have suffered at least a 10 percent production loss on a crop of economic significance and obtained a policy or plan of insurance under the Federal Crop Insurance Act or the NAP for all economically significant crops. A producer must have a farming interest physically located in a county that was declared a primary disaster county or contiguous county by the Secretary of Agriculture under a Secretarial Disaster Designation or have actual production on the farm that was less than 50 percent of the normal production on the farm due to a natural disaster.