The now abandoned building on Highway 17 in Egypt known as Royal’s Grocery ceased operations years ago. The building was owned by Mr. Frank Roundtree as early as 1911.
In 1961, Mr. and Mrs. R.E. (Pat) Royal bought the business in Egypt. The Royals added appliances and clothing along with other general store merchandise.
Mr. Royal built a new addition for appliances in 1966, giving Mrs. Royal more room to display clothing. They also handled Union 66 gasoline and oil. Again in 1970, another separate building was added for the appliances.
After Mr. Royal’s death in August 1975, his son Billy and wife Shirley were in charge of the appliance sales. Hotpoint, Kelvinator and Magic Chef appliances were available.
Mrs. Marion Royal continued to operate the store for several more years from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., six days a week. Billy and Shirley were the last of the Royal family to operate a business on this site.
This article was published in an advertisement in the Bicentennial Issue of the Springfield Herald, July 1, 1976. The store still stands today but is no longer operating.