By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Springfield man faces large bills with kidney transplant operations
Placeholder Image

Dear Editor,

Have you ever had to face a life threatening illness? Have you ever become overwhelmed by the restrictive cost to cure your illness? Have you ever had to rely on your family and friends to make a life-saving difference on your behalf?

John Washington of Springfield is facing all of these conditions at once. He needs your help. John is in need of a kidney transplant. However, the costs associated with transplant are extremely high. He relies on his insurance to help pay for surgeries, medications, office visits and many other associated expenses.

Many insurance companies do not pay all the costs associated with transplant. For instance, Medicare Part B will only pay 80 percent of immunosuppressant medication expenses; this leaves 20 percent unpaid. This may not sound like much, however the cost of only three of the immunosuppressant medications needed after transplant is about $1,800 per month. Which means the patient must pay the difference of $360 a month for the rest of their life after a transplant is received.

John is a potential transplant candidate at the Medical College of Georgia. He needs to save $10,400 before he can be made active on the transplant list. This money will be used to help pay for the needed immunosuppressant medications and other expenses for the first year after his transplant.

Many people do not understand the financial burden patients incur before and after a transplant. Fundraisers and donations help to lessen these burdens. Please help support John in his mission to raise the funds that will bring him a step closer to a transplant and a step closer to fulfilling his dream of living a longer, healthier life.

Thank you in advance for your support and donations. Please call me if I can be of assistance. My office number is (706) 721-3621. Checks should be in care of John Washington Transplant Fund and mailed to 4928 Highway 21 N., Springfield, GA 31329.

Thank you again for supporting this life saving campaign.

Ada Brownson
Fundraising/ Financial Coordinator
MCG Health Systems