An April 1942 Savannah Morning News article, written by Rebah Mallory, tells the story of boys, girls and townsfolk joining forces in the Clyo community to build a cabin.
The camp was named in honor of John Adam Treutlen, the first constitutional governor of Georgia, who was a native of Effingham County. His home was only a short distance away from the five acre site bought jointly by the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.
The cabin was 18 by 30 feet with entrances at both sides. There was a spring nearby that may have served as a swimming area. The property had ample space for baseball fields. The cliff over a ravine had vines that the boys could swing from “Tarzan style.”
The scout leaders, Hollis Morgan and C. L. Hall, assisted the troops in fundraisers including the sale of candy, peanuts and ice cream to raise the money to purchase the property. Once the deed to the land was secured, a mass meeting was called to build the cabin. The property was located between what is now the former Gold Kist Fertilizer Plant and the Railroad Bridge on a bluff on the Savannah River at Clyo.
They received support through pledges of cash, materials and labor. George Gnann was appointed chairman of the building committee. He was assisted by Rudolph DeLoach and others. Donations were collected for furnishings, a stove, phonograph, lamp and even a boat.
The two troops were: Boys Troop No. 49 of the Chatham Area Council and Girls Troop No. 9 of the Savannah Council. Chester Hall, who was serving as Clyo School principal, a Scout and leader, was instrumental in organizing the boys. The Clyo Lodge No. 280, F and M, gladly sponsored the troop.
Lowell Morgan, Fred Dekle and Madison Morgan also served on the building committee. The Clyo Boy Scouts were chartered in 1940. During this time a county council established troops in other communities.
Members of the Clyo Boy Scouts were: Carroll DeLoach, Billy Smith, Iseman Wright, Leland Roberts, Theodore Metzger, Charles Morel, Vinton Edwards, Lavonne Arnsdorff, James Blackwell, Clayton Gnann, Vaughn Gnann, Louis Scott Jr., J. E. Clary Jr., and
Franklin Neidlinger. The troop learned Morse code, sold War Stamps, camped and hunted.
The Girl Scout troop was the first organized in the county. Hollis Morgan, herself a scout, was the leader. The troop organized after its first meeting in October 1941. It was registered in March 1941 with the PTA as sponsor.
Members of the Clyo Girl Scouts were: Mildred Smith (patrol leader), Marguerite Morgan (scribe), Gene Arnsdorff, Lila Seckinger, Alberta Neidlinger, Leona Smith, Amelia Meyer, Eunice Lee and Wilma Gnann. They presented a play on the life of Gov. John A. Treutlen at PTA and also for the student body at school.
Folk dancing was taught by Helen Price. They aided in defense work saving tin foil, waste paper and anything worthwhile for their country.
According to Mallory in the paper, “Not only is Camp Treutlen an asset, to these boys and girls, but to the community at large, where it forms an environment for character development, citizenship training, and physical fitness, the bulwark of keeping our community, state and country the grand old place we call home — America.”
This article was compiled by Susan Exley of Historic Effingham from information in the museum archives. If you have questions, comments or photos to share, please call her at 754-6681 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org