Commissioner of Agriculture Tommy Irvin is alerting Georgians that several products distributed by an Illinois company are being recalled due to high lead levels.
Raja Foods LLC of Skokie, Illinois, is recalling its 3.5 oz. (100 g) packages of “SWAD BRAND: ABIL, GULAL, KANKU, KUM KUM,” and “SWAD BRAND: LAGAN SAMAGRI KIT, and POOJA SAMAGRI KIT” because the products contain high levels of lead.
Lead is very toxic and dangerous to humans, especially children, women of childbearing age, pregnant women and their unborn children. Although people with lead in their blood often do not exhibit the symptoms of lead toxicity, such symptoms include the following: stomach aches, colic, nausea, vomiting, abnormal irritability, and insomnia.
Lead can also permanently damage the central nervous system, resulting in learning difficulties in school children as well as cause other long-term health problems.
These products were distributed through Indian grocery stores in Colorado, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin.
These products are used for religious purposes and are intended to be placed on the skin or hair. Although the products were not intended to be sold for food use, its labeling may be confusing and may imply they may be used as food. The ABIL, GULAL, KANKU, and KUM KUM product is distributed in a 3.5 oz. (100 g) plastic bag with a front label stating “SWAD BEST TASTE IN TOWN SINDOOR”, “FOR RECIPE IDEAS VISIT OUR WEBSITE : WWW.RAJAFOODS.COM”, and “PRODUCT OF INDIA.” The LAGAN SAMAGRI and POOJA SAMAGRI product is distributed in plastic bins with a front label stating “SWAD BEST TASTE IN TOWN POOJA SAMAGRI” SWAD BEST TASTE IN TOWN LAGAN SAMAGRI” The back label states “Imported and Distributed by: Raja Foods, 8110, N. St. Louis Avenue, Skokie, ILL 60076”, and a sticker stating “NONEDIBLE”.
“Cosmetic products do not fall under the jurisdictional responsibility of the Georgia Department of Agriculture; however, the labeling is confusing and implies they may be used as food. We wanted Georgians to be aware of the danger,” said Irvin.
Consumers who have purchased any of these products are urged to return them to the place of purchase for a full refund.