ATLANTA — The Internal Revenue Service and scores of its community partners will open their doors on March 21, to help people who need free tax preparation, a question answered or a payment schedule arranged. The IRS recognizes that many taxpayers in the area may be confronting financial difficulties and need additional help this tax season. Therefore, seven IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers in Georgia, including the Atlanta site (401 W. Peachtree St. NW), will offer free tax preparation and help with tax issues on “Super Saturday”, a special service day, from 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
“Many people work all week and cannot afford to miss a day’s worth of income. During these difficult economic times the IRS wants to help taxpayers. That is why the IRS is making this additional effort on a Saturday during tax filing season to service those who need help,” said IRS spokesman Mark Green.
The following services will be offered on “Super Saturday”:
• Free tax preparation to claim the Earn Income Tax Credit (EITC) and for taxpayers with an annual income of $42,000 or less
• Payments or payment arrangements if individuals cannot fully comply with their tax obligations
• Assistance with letters, notices and levies on your wages or bank accounts and answers to tax law questions
• Copies of tax returns and transcripts
• Providing tax forms and information about e-file which can save time necessary to receive refunds
• Resolving tax issues
Over 250 IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TAC), and 1,000 community partner sites throughout the nation will open their doors on Super Saturday.
In Georgia, the following TAC sites will offer their services:
• Albany, 235 Roosevelt Ave. (31701)
• Atlanta, 401 W. Peachtree St. NW (30308)
• Columbus, 3604 Macon Rd. (31907)
• Macon, 640 North Ave. (31211)
• Rome, 600 East First St. (30161)
• Savannah, 120 Barnard St. (31401)
If you want help, make sure you bring all of the proper documents and tax information, such as proof of identification, your W-2 form or forms, last year's tax return and your bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit, which speeds up your tax refund.
For those who don’t want to make a trip, the IRS also offers other free services for tax preparation including the Free File program on IRS.gov.
A list of IRS offices and partner sites providing assistance across the country on Super Saturday is available at http://www.irs.gov. Volunteer help provided by VITA IRS partners on this Super Saturday on March 21, can be found by calling 1-800-906-9887.