RINCON — Turning 200 years old deserves a party and that’s just what the congregation of Clyo United Methodist Church is going hold Saturday and Sunday.
Visitors are welcome to come and fellowship with church members as they look back on their church’s history.
The church will have a community picnic Saturday starting at 3 p.m. It will feature a hamburger cookout and fellowship through 7 p.m.
Early photos of the church and its members will be on hand as will information on the church and its history.
On Sunday, the regular service will be conducted at 10:30 a.m. with guest speaker Rev. Greg Porter, who grew up in the area.
Lunch will be served afterward in the Family Life Center. Lunch will include pork barbecue, hash, chicken fingers, dinner rolls and drinks. Covered dishes and desserts are welcome.
People are being encouraged to bring photos and stories to tell and visitors are welcome to attend.
The original church was founded at Tuckassee King on the Savannah River in 1819. Church member Richard Loper also said that an Indian village still existed at that time.
In 1852, the church was moved to Mt. Pleasant, a few miles out, until the railroad came through what became Clyo in the 1890s. The railroad virtually created the town of Clyo, naming it after a Greek god.
People started building stores near the post office and in 1902 the church moved up to Clyo. At one point, Clyo was a boom town with eight country stores.
At that time, the church actually sat on the lot where the Family Life Center is now located, behind the current church. In 1948, the present building was built on Marion Avenue.
One thing the congregation is proud of is that the old altar railing from the original church is still being used today.