By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Escapee caught in Florida
tirado jorge
Jorge Tirado

Federal agents apprehended an Effingham County prisoner who fled from a work detail Monday afternoon.

Jorge Tirado broke away from a detail along Fort Howard Road on Monday, instigating a search that ended Wednesday morning in Orlando, Fla. He was recaptured around 11:40 a.m.

He was found at 3700 Curry Ford Rd., according to the U.S. Marshals Service. Tirado attempted to run again after agents approached.

“But we had enough officers on scene we were able to arrest him,” said Tom Morefield, Chief Deputy Marshal for the U.S. Marshals Savannah office.

Investigators discovered Tirado had relatives in the Orlando area and began to pursue their leads.

“It was basic law enforcement leg work, and we were able to locate him at that address,” Morefield said.

Tirado will be taken to another state facility for the remainder of his original sentence and whatever other time he may have to do for his escape.

“He’ll never come back to Effingham County,” Effingham Prison Warden Ronald Spears said.

K-9 units from Effingham and Chatham counties were called in, as were members of several other law enforcement agencies in an attempt to find Tirado. Tirado was in the Effingham County Prison on a 10-year sentence for trafficking less than 200 grams of cocaine. He was convicted in August 2006 in Camden County and sentenced to prison on Nov. 2.

Any additional prison time for his escape attempt will be up to the Ogeechee Judicial Circuit district attorney’s office and the state Department of Corrections, Morefield said.

After he fled Monday, the Department of Corrections, Georgia State Patrol, Effingham County Sheriff’s Office, Rincon Police Department, Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department K-9 unit and the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force began the search. The U.S. Marshals Orange County Felony Squad assisted in the capture.

Spears said Tirado’s escape was the first for the prison since 2002.