On behalf of the Coastal Bicycle Touring Club, I’d like to thank the gentleman from Egypt who pulled over to render aid and transportation after two of our riders were involved in a cycling accident on Highway 17 on Jan. 23, as well as the other motorists who stopped to offer aid.
We are very grateful for the kind people of Effingham County. If you are a bicyclist, or if you know a bicyclist, I hope you will read and share our safety pledge:
1. I will ride single file when a car or truck is behind me.
2. I will never ride more than two abreast, in accordance with Georgia law. I will not be a road hog. I will yield to riders trying to pass me.
3. I will ride as far to the right as practicable, except when making a left turn, or when going straight at a right turn only lane.
4. I will call out “Car Back” or “Car Up” to riders in front of me.
5. I will call out my intentions to riders immediately behind me: “Slowing,” “Stopping,” “Turning.” I will use traffic hand signals when appropriate.
6. I will point to road hazards and/or call out to riders behind me: “Gravel,” “Hole,” “Tracks.”
7. I will call out to riders I am about to pass: “On Your Left,” or “Good Morning.” I will never pass on the right.
8. I will wear my helmet at all times while on my bike. I will not wear earphones while riding my bike.
9. I will obey all traffic signs and signals.
10. I will always ride defensively. I will always be aware of other riders, vehicles and pedestrians near me. I will never assume I know what they are going to do.
11. I will use common sense and courtesy toward motorists and other cyclists while I am on my bike.
12. I will provide immediate adult supervision to my bicycling children under age 16.
13. I will not ride before daylight or after dusk unless I have proper lights on my bike, in accordance with Georgia law.
14. If I stop for any reason, I will get completely off the road.