Springfield Baptist Church sat at the corner of Laurel and Franklin streets. The building in the accompanying photograph was the third in the history of the church founded in 1848. The building shown was constructed in 1909 and sat at the northwest corner of the lot.
In 1949, the building was moved to the center of the lot and an educational building was added. The building was bricked. In 1988, the name of the church was changed to First Baptist Church of Springfield.
First Baptist decided to move outside the city limits, establishing a new sanctuary complex on Highway 119 north. The first service was held Aug. 13, 1995, at the new facility. In June 1995, the Effingham County Board of Commissioners purchased the former church building and it became the Effingham County Administrative Complex and is used as such to this day.
The accompanying photograph shows a photo of the second church building of the Springfield Methodist Church built in 1902. In 1911-12, the building underwent renovation that changed its appearance. The steeple with open belfry and front-door entrance with a vestibule were moved to the front center of the building.
This building was torn down about 1953 and a new sanctuary was built facing Cleveland Street. The Springfield United Church occupies this building today after many years of additions and renovations.
Holy Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church was established in June 1912. It sits at the corner of Laurel and Madison streets. A social hall was added to the building in 1950. The congregation still occupies the original beautiful brick structure in the Gothic style. There have been renovations of the building over the past 100 years. The accompanying photograph was a postcard from the 1920s.
This was written by Susan Exley of Historic Effingham Society. If you have photos, comments or information to share, contact her at 754-6681 or email@example.com.