Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Need to put on your positive pants? Some days just don't turn out the way we may have planned. Whatever the case may be, here is a list of things you can do when you need a smile.
1. Forgive yourself. Oh sure, start with the hardest one! Yes, this takes a lot of self-discipline, but if you are able to truly forgive yourself — for whatever reason — your happiness will show.
2. Accept an apology (even if one hasn't been given). Another hard one (especially if you include that last part). This can take weeks, months, or even years. But once it finally happens, you can start mending broken relationships or, at the least, building a better you.
3. Give someone a compliment. How often do we share compliments with others? Sometimes it can be scary, but think of it this way: when was the last time you were mad at someone that gave you a compliment? I challenge you to deliver every positive compliment that runs through your mind for one day.
4. Give yourself a compliment. This is a little trickier than the previous one, but not impossible. Find something you love about yourself and say it. Out loud.
5. Stop and smell the roses. The world has glorified the need to be busy. Take a moment each day to enjoy the beauty around you, in all its forms.
6. Indulge. Enjoy a simple pleasure — something you don't let yourself have or do very often. Eat that big fat chocolate cupcake. Buy that item you've been eyeing in the store window.
7. Play with your kids, your grandkids or your friend's kids more often.Enough said.
8. Ask one of those kids for a hug. Having tiny arms around your neck has to be one of the best feelings ever.
9. Dress up. And don't forget — you're never fully dressed without a smile.
10. Write a hand-written letter to someone you love. Even better? Deliver it!
11. Watch a sunrise. You might need to arise early, but I've never seen a sunrise and wished I was still back in bed.
12. Make a list of things you are grateful for. Try to think of things you normally wouldn't, like the sunrise!
13. On Facebook, ask: "What makes you smile?" I tried this and all the comments had me laughing!
14. Go stargazing. Get out of the city and find a place you can really see them. The Milky Way is always my favorite.
15. Go on a run or a walk. Endorphins are all the rage!
16. Listen to your favorite song. Music is what feelings sound like, so listen to a happy song.
17. Commit a random act of kindness. Maybe you'll even start a chain of "paying it forward."
18. Go people-watching. Pay attention to the little things.
19. Text your significant other something you love about him or her.Then, ask your spouse to return the favor.
20. Smile! Plaster one on your face. Soon, it will become genuine.
Try just a few of these, and you will be sure to turn that frown upside down!
Becky blogs at thecoconotes.blogspot.com