The Effingham County High School basketball teams will play their final home games of the 2012-13 season Wednesday night.
But the Lady Rebels and Rebels may not be through playing basketball.
The Effingham County girls will play host to Thomas County Central in the Class AAAAA state quarterfinals, with tip-off set for 6:30 p.m. The ECHS boys will play host to Creekside in their quarterfinals matchup.
And fans have been flocking to the ECHS gym to see the Lady Rebels and Rebels in their playoff pursuits. Nearly 2,000 people packed into the gym Saturday night as the Effingham girls rallied to beat McIntosh and the Effingham boys coasted past Starr’s Mill.
Crowds for each of Effingham’s home playoff games have been increasingly large, and the school brought in temporary bleachers, anticipating an attendance beyond capacity.
Opponents have been impressed by the fans who have turned out to see the Rebels basketball teams in the playoffs.
“It was an amazing environment,” said Starr’s Mill coach Brandon Hutchins. “They did a good job of getting their home crowd, and that was good for our young guys to be in that atmosphere.
“To come here and get in that environment and crowd was pretty awesome,” Hutchins added.
Tickets for Wednesday’s games are $10 for the doubleheader. If you can’t make it to the gym, you can watch live at www.ghsa.tv.
For more coverage, visit http://sports.effinghamherald.net/prep-sports.
State basketball playoffs
• Who: Thomas County Central vs. Effingham County
• When: Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.
• Where: ECHS gym
• Records: Thomas County Central 18-10, Effingham County 25-5
• Up next: Wednesday's winner plays in state semifinals Saturday at Kennesaw State vs. winner of Tucker-Miller Grove
• Who: Creekside vs. Effingham County
• When: Wednesday, 8 p.m.
• Where: ECHS gym
• Records: Creekside 12-15, Effingham County 26-4
• Up next: Wednesday's winner plays in state semifinals Saturday at Kennesaw State vs. winner of Gainesville-New Manchester
• Tickets: $10
• Online: www.ghsa.tv