Unfortunately people can have bad experiences in church. I hope none were as bad as these.
I don’t remember where I got this list, but here it is: The Top 10 Signs You’re In a Bad Church.
10. The church bus has gun racks.
9. Church staff: senior pastor, associate pastor, socio-pastor.
8. Bible version they use: “Dr. Seuss Version.”
7. ATM in the lobby.
6. Choir wears leather robes.
5. During greeting time, people take turns staring at you.
4. Karaoke worship time.
3. Ushers ask, “Smoking or non-smoking?”
2. Only song the organist knows: “We Shall Not Be Moved.”
1. Even the pastor doesn’t want to come, but his wife makes him attend.
If your church is that bad, you might want to look for another church. But the fact is that there is no perfect church, because the church is made up of imperfect people. The phrase the Bible uses to describe us is “sinners saved by grace.”
But before you give up completely on the church, remember this: rather than giving up on the church, Christ gave himself up for the church. “Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her” (Ephesians 5:25, ESV). If Jesus considered the church worth dying for, then we ought to consider the church worth living for.
I came across a little poem that put it well:
“If you should find the perfect church,
Without one fault or smear
For goodness sake don’t join that church
You’d spoil the atmosphere.
But since no perfect church exists
Made of perfect men,
Let’s cease on looking for that church,
And LOVE the one we’re in.”
(Copyright 2010 by Bob Rogers. Email: email@example.com. Read this column each Friday for a mix of religion and humor. For more “Holy Humor,” visit the Web site of First Baptist Church of Rincon at www.fbcrincon.com.)