The Taylors Creek Cemetery Association is searching for descendants of residents of the displaced Taylors Creek community, which was located inside what is now Fort Stewart Military Reservation.
Descendants will be granted access on Oct. 18 to tour the cemetery and pay tribute to their ancestors. If you would like to be added to our mailing list for more information, please contact Carol at (229) 325-3130 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Until 1941, Taylors Creek was a small village that stood at the junction of the Canoochee and Taylors creeks. The community, which was surrounded by farms, functioned as a local trading center from the early 19th century until the establishment of Camp Stewart (later Fort Stewart) in 1940-41. In 1940, Congress created military bases across the country, and Taylors Creek was one of the communities included in a 5,000-acre lot of land north of Hinesville that was chosen as an artillery and basic training post for Camp Stewart.
Families at Taylors Creek and surrounding communities accepted their relocation as an act for the good of the country, but also experienced a sense of loss for abandoning their beloved homes and neighbors. These displaced families, depending on financial stability, opportunity to farm, and government assistance, were scattered across Georgia.
Surnames of community members buried in the cemetery include: Alexander, Beasley, Bird, Bradley, Butler, Caswell, Clark, Cox, Daniel, Darsey, Davis, Delettre, Floyd, Fudge, Geiger, Girardeau, Grice, Harnage, Hendry, Jones, Laing, Maddox, Martin, May, McCall, McFail, McGillis, McGowen, Miller, Mims, Mooney, Newham, Norris, Olmstead, Porter, Rambo, Richardson, Riviere, Rustin, Ryon, Shaw, Sheppard, Shumat, Shuptrine, Smith, Stacy, Staley, Stephens, Strickland, Suggs, Whitten, Williams, Williamson, and Wilson.