By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Effingham County Sheriff's Office reports
Placeholder Image

Oct. 5

Domestic dispute

A deputy met with a Clyo man and his daughter after they got into a verbal altercation after she heard him say “whore” while he was on the phone. She took it as a reference to herself. She said her father had been drinking and called her a “whore” and other names and that she is tired of him mistreating her. She said he has a drug and alcohol abuse problem and has been abusive toward her, her mother and her sister in the past. She said she, her sister and her mother would leave the house for the evening.


Oct. 5

Simple battery-family violence

Cruelty to children

Obstructing or hindering persons making emergency call

A man said he and his girlfriend had been arguing and he stepped outside of their apartment to get away from her. The complainant said he got angry with her because she wanted to plan a birthday party for their child, who was about to turn 1. He started yelling obscenities at her in front of their child and that angered the girlfriend.  She said she put her finger in his face and told him not to talk that way in front of their child. He became furious, started bumping her several times and then struck her on the left side of her head. When she tried to get back up, he pushed her in her chest.

She said she was going to call the police but he grabbed the phone. She got it back but he took it again. He dropped the phone and she got it and ran to the bedroom to call 911. He begged her not to call the authorities. The entire incident occurred in front of their child, and the complainant also is seven weeks pregnant.

The boyfriend admitted to pushing the complainant after she put her finger in his face. Both parties said that though they do not live together now, they did reside together in the past and have been together for several years. He also said he took the phone away from her because he did not want her to call 911. He was handcuffed and taken to jail.


Oct. 5

Burglary-second degree

Theft by taking

Criminal trespass

A man told deputies someone had taken a riding lawnmower, a central air conditioning unit and three lithium batteries. He also said several holes had been punched into his house’s siding and his garage door had been kicked. He also said several window screens were missing and that in the recent week, his son’s Lab puppy had gone missing, along with five kittens. Two of the kittens later were found dead on the property.


Oct. 1

Theft by taking-felony

An Eden man told deputies he had parked his pickup at the corner of Highway 80 and placed a for sale sign on it. He said a friend called him the next day and said the truck was gone. The victim said he had not sold the vehicle and the only ones with keys to the truck were him and his son.


Oct. 1

Criminal trespass

Deputies responded to a Springfield-area home on the report of man with a gun trying to get into a house. The victim said someone told her that her boyfriend had taken money out of her wallet and hit another car with her vehicle. Before calling authorities, the victim said she told her boyfriend he needed to leave, but he refused. He went out the door in order to show her there wasn’t any damage to her vehicle, but she ran back into the house and locked the door. The suspect began kicking and pushing the door and said he would return. When he returned, the two got into a physical altercation, according to the victim’s mother. The mother also said she saw the suspect attempt to hide what she thought was a gun under her daughter’s front seat. After being told the authorities were on their way, he got the gun and ran toward the woods.

Deputies found damage to the door and it would not close properly along the bottom. A search of the neighborhood did not turn up the suspect.


Sept. 30

Civil matter

Deputies were called to a Guyton-area residence, where a man said he came home to discover he had no water because the power at the community well was cut off. He said this was the third time in three months that had happened. He asked for a report to help him with obtaining his own well.


Sept. 29

Driving while license suspended or revoked

While on patrol on Highway 21, a deputy saw a pickup partially over the white fog line. The deputy pulled in behind the truck and noticed someone in the driver’s seat. The driver said his truck’s transmission failed and the vehicle would not move. The deputy detected a strong odor of alcohol and also saw an open 40-ounce beer can behind the passenger seat. A check of his license revealed it had been suspended and he explained it was for child support. Dispatchers told deputies the driver was wanted in Macon. The deputy walked 25 yards behind the truck and saw two deep tire ruts and black spin marks leading to where the vehicle stopped.


Sept. 29

Theft by receiving stolen property-felony

Driving while license suspended or revoked

A Bloomingdale woman said her son had forced his way into her home and stolen several items. Deputies found a Volkswagen Beetle in the driveway, with the son asleep in the passenger seat with peanut butter, bread, chips and other food items. When awoken, he said he had been working and that his mother was out of town, so he went there to sleep. He said he bought the car from a friend of his employer but could not provide the name of the owner. He said his identification was inside the house but he had not been inside. He said his mother had given the food found in the car to him.

A check showed he had a suspended driver’s license. He said he had been driving the car for a few days and was making payments to the owner but did not know his name. A check of the vehicle showed it was stolen in Savannah.

The mother said her son had broken into her home several times and she did not want it to happen anymore. She said her son suffered from bipolar disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder. The vehicle’s owner was located and he said he was not selling the car to the son and that the son had stolen the keys from his apartment.


Sept. 28


After being told by a third party that someone posted on Facebook references to an incident involving her son, a woman notified deputies. The complainant said the Facebook poster blames her son for the incident and though she was not specifically named, she said the posts were directed at her. The complainant said there have been issues with the other woman’s son and daughter, and she wanted them to leave her family alone. The woman who posted the Facebook messages was contacted and said none of the posts mentioned the complainant and she and her son will have no more contact with the complainant and her family.


Sept. 27

A Guyton-area man said he was trying to leave his home to avoid an escalating argument with his wife. He intended to drive his motor home to his brother’s house to have a place to stay. His wife stepped in front of the vehicle and said she was not going to let him leave. He also said he had an upcoming court appearance for a previous domestic appearance and wanted to avoid additional trouble. His wife left prior to deputies arriving, and the complainant gathered his clothing and said he planned to leave the house.


Sept. 26

A Bloomingdale woman said someone near Atlanta tried to use her credit card on three different occasions for a total of more than $1,000. She said she had made her bank aware of the transactions and had received a new credit card.


Sept. 25

Harassing phone calls

An elderly man said he had received a phone call July 4 stating it was from the IRS and he needed to return the call or face legal action. On Sept. 1, he received a similar call from a different phone number. On the report date, he got another such call from another different number. Deputies tried to return the call to the number, but it would ring once and disconnect.


Sept. 25

Domestic dispute

A South Carolina man said he arrived at a home he owned in Effingham to work on the air conditioner and found the house in disrepair. He had been allowing his step-daughter to live there. He learned the power had been off for about 15 days and the water was off for 30 days. Deputies entered the home with the homeowner and found a Chihuahua that could not be approached. Every room in the house was covered in animal waste, along with the step-daughter and her daughters’ belongings. Two dogs were found outside and though they appeared friendly, they had been left without access to food and water. One of the neighbors said the step-daughter had not been living in the residence for at least a month. The step-daughter was called and was on her way to the house to collect any belongings or animals she wanted to keep. The homeowner was advised to contact the ECSO in case the step-daughter did not follow through so humane enforcement could be called.


Sept. 24

Agency assist

A deputy was sent to a Rincon residence about a cat caught in a trap, but discovered that a possum was in the trap. The possum was released.


Sept. 24

Aggravated assault

Deputies responded to a call about shots being fired. A woman said she walked next to her car to talk on her cell phone when she saw a slender, 6 foot tall black man near the bushes. When she saw him, she heard three gunshots and the muzzle blast, and it appeared he was firing at her. Deputies found skip marks from where projectile hit the ground in the front yard, a bullet hole in her car and a bullet hole in a neighbor’s house. No shell casings were found, and it was believed a revolver was fired.

The neighbor said everyone in his house was OK, and deputies found a bulge in a closet that appeared to be caused by the bullet striking the house.


Sept. 12

Reckless driving

Speeding in excess of maximum limits

Patrolling Highway 30 around 2 p.m., a deputy saw a SUV at a high rate of speed. Radar showed the vehicle traveling at 78 mph. The speed reached 92 mph before the vehicle passed the deputy, who turned around to pursue. The vehicle kept up the speed while going into the other lane to pass cars, and finally pulled over about three miles from where the deputy first clocked it. The driver said he did not have a reason to be going so fast, other than to show his juvenile son, who was in the back, what it was like to travel at high speeds.