Former South Effingham star Josh Reddick is getting plenty of swings with the big club in spring training.
The Boston Red Sox farmhand, a non-roster invitee to the major league camp, is hitting .417 in Grapefruit League play and went 3-for-5 against the Florida Marlins on Friday, hitting leadoff and playing right field.
He was 0-for-1 against Tampa Bay on Sunday.
In Thursday’s game against the Puerto Rico team for the World Baseball Classic, Reddick took a home run away from Yadier Molina.
• Former South Effingham star Colby May is off to a torrid start at Georgia. The freshman third baseman hit his fifth home run of the season and drove in four runs in a 7-0 victory over Quinnipiac on Friday. He is hitting .317 and has driven in 16 runs.
• Josh Wilson went 3-for-4 and scored three runs as the Armstrong Atlantic Pirates beat California (Pa.) 9-1 Saturday. The former ECHS star is hitting .403 with three homers and 14 RBIs.
• South Effingham’s John Roberts was 2-for-3 with two RBIs in AASU’s win over California (Pa.). The Pirates catcher is hitting .196 for the season with five RBIs.
• Former SEHS ace Brandon McCreery finished off Saturday’s win with a scoreless inning. The Pirates closer is 0-3 with two saves and a 5.79 ERA.
• ECHS’ Sam Dotson has two strikeouts in two innings in two appearances for the Pirates. Former SEHS ace Jesse Osborne has appeared in five games and has an ERA of 10.38 in 4 1/3 innings.
• Kiefer Youmans is hitting .462 for the Andrew College Tigers. The SEHS alum has one home run and 15 RBIs in 19 games, along with eight stolen bases.
• ECHS’ Dylan Scott was 2-for-4 with a homer, a double and two RBIs in an 8-4 win for Middle Georgia College over Lake Michigan.
• ECHS alum Spencer Jackson drove in two runs in USC Beaufort’s 7-3 win over Edward Waters. He was 4-for-5 with three runs scored in an 8-7 win over Edward Waters. The Sand Sharks will play at Savannah State on Wednesday at 6 p.m.
• Former ECHS star Megen Smith has one home run and three RBIs and is hitting .407 for the Georgia Southern softball team. She is 0-3 with an ERA of 6.16 in 19 1/3 innings. Former Lady Rebel Marie Fogle has one homer and two RBIs and is hitting .217. Smith and Fogle each went 1-for-3 in a 4-0 loss to College of Charleston on Sunday. Smith was 2-for-4 in a 9-6 loss to CofC on Saturday and got the loss on the mound. She was 2-for-3 and her home run was the lone run of the game in a 1-0 win over CofC in the first game Saturday.