Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Springfield will celebrate its 100th anniversary on June 10. All former members, pastors and friends in the community are invited to attend.
The morning will begin outside in front of the church with a group photograph and the opening of the cornerstone at 9:30 a.m. with the Holy Communion service of worship immediately following. After lunch on the premises, a historical session will begin at 2 p.m. in the sanctuary.
The church was formally organized on June 12, 1912, during the Brinson Railroad growth acceleration brought to Springfield in the early 1900s. Rev. Dr. T.W. Shealy, pastor of the Bethel Lutheran parish, saw the need of a church in Springfield and was the catalyst for members from Bethel Lutheran Church to plan for a new church. The Gothic-style brick building was built by contractor J.R. Tebeau. The sanctuary today has a beautiful pipe organ and chimes that provide music to enhance worship.
The building, according to a recent Savannah College of Art and Design survey to designate a historical district for Springfield, is a landmark worthy of inclusion on the Historical Register if desired.
Rev. Dr. James L. Cavanah II, pastor at Holy Trinity, will lead the service. Guest minister will be the Rev. Jackson A. Zipperer Jr. Rev. Zipperer is the only surviving pastor of the three who became ministers from Holy Trinity’s congregation over the past 100 years. He received a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Newberry College and the Master of Divinity Degree from the Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary. He served churches in Mississippi and Tennessee.
Since retiring from the ministry, Rev. "Jack" Zipperer, as he is affectionately known, and his wife, Dimples, reside in Murfreesboro, Tenn.
Holy Trinity Lutheran Church is located at 204 N. Laurel St. in Springfield. Extra parking is available across the street. For more information, call the church office at 754-3353.