By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Saturday night standoff ends quietly
Newington man charged with armed robbery, aggravated assault in incident
Jackie Thorne Jr
Jackie Allen Thorne Jr. - photo by Photo submitted

Car chase

Car chase

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Effingham County sheriff’s deputies arrested a Newington man Saturday night after he allegedly tried to run another motorist off the road and then held police at bay in a standoff.

Jackie Allen Thorne Jr., 39, is charged with hijacking a motor vehicle, three counts of armed robbery, three counts of aggravated assault, three counts of possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, entering automobile with the intent to commit a theft or felony, driving under the influence, fleeing and eluding a police officer and two counts of leaving the scene of an accident.

Sheriff Jimmy McDuffie said Thorne was traveling north on Highway 21 at approximately 7:53 p.m. Saturday when he collided with another vehicle near milepost 14.

Thorne refused to stop when the vehicles collided and the occupants of the other vehicle followed Thorne onto Elbert Arnsdorff Road. McDuffie said once Thorne was on Elbert Arnsdorff he lost control of his vehicle and flipped over several times into a ditch.

The driver and passenger of the vehicle Thorne collided with on 21 came upon the accident scene and attempted to help. Thorne pointed a semi-automatic pistol at them and demanded money and their vehicle.

McDuffie said the victims, Mark and Brenda Lavin, complied with Thorne’s demands and Thorne left the area with the stolen vehicle. The victims then called Effingham County 911 on a cellular telephone and reported the incident.

Sheriff deputies and state troopers in the area observed Thorne in the stolen vehicle. Sgt Dixon and Deputy Sheriff Fields of the Effingham County Sheriff’s Office and Trooper First Class Cross of the Georgia State Patrol attempted a traffic stop, but Thorne refused to stop. Thorne continued driving at high speeds and lost control of the vehicle he was driving at the intersection of Clyo-Shawnee Road and Morgan Circle.

McDuffie said Thorne, who was armed with a pistol, refused to get out of the vehicle and after a brief standoff, Thorne surrendered to authorities. Thorne was taken to the Effingham County Jail.