By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Stay healthy during drought, drink steady supply of water
Placeholder Image

Even though a historic drought grips the state, the Georgia Division of Public Health, on behalf of the Drought Response Unified Command, reminds residents to keep hydrated by drinking a steady and healthy supply of water.

Dehydration is a condition that occurs when a person loses more fluids than he or she consumes. Dehydration can happen in any season.

Most health care professionals recommend a personal minimum intake of eight to 12 glasses of water a day of 8 ounces each. The amount of fluid needed varies with activity and age, but most active people, like athletes, need two to three times the minimum amount.

Usually 20 percent of the daily water intake comes from fruits, vegetables, soups and other foods, with the remaining 80 percent coming from beverages. However, most adults lose about ten cups of water every day through normal body functions including perspiration and breathing.

The body needs to replace the water it looses to keep working properly. Here are some tips to stay healthy and hydrated.

Drink water with every meal and snack.

Eat more fruits and vegetables.

Moderate intake of sodas, caffeine and any carbonated drink. Caffeine acts as a diuretic, flushing water out of your system more than other drinks.

Follow the American College of Sports Medicine recommendations for fluid intake before, during and after physical activity.

Keep a water bottle at your desk, in your car and in your bag.

For more information about water conservation and the drought, visit