By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire leaves family homeless
Firefighters battle an early morning blaze Thursday on Middle Ground Road that left a family of five without a home. - photo by Photo submitted

A family of five lost their home in a fire early Thursday morning due in part to the loss of electricity from the storm on Wednesday.

On Thursday at around 5 a.m. the Rincon Volunteer Fire Department arrived at the home of a single mother, her three kids and her sister. The firefighters called for help from the county, Guyton and Springfield because the house was fully engulfed.

Twenty-five firefighters worked on the fire. Rincon police officers assisted by conducting traffic control. The fire departments stayed on the scene until about 9 a.m. No one was injured.

State Fire Marshall Dan Mealor was called to the scene and his investigation revealed that the fire began when a pot was placed on the stove on Wednesday. At around 5 p.m. the power went out because of the storm. The residents of the house left at about 11 p.m. to go spend the night at a relative’s home in Savannah since their power was still unavailable.

However, when the electricity was restored about 30 minutes later, the stove came back on and the pot subsequently dried out, melted and caught fire.

Rincon VFD Chief Corey Rahn said that a fire starting this way was new to him.

“When the power goes out, make sure everything is turned off if you’re gonna leave the residence,” he said.