The following bills concerning DTAE and the Student Finance Commission and Authority issues were passed in the 2007 Session of the Georgia General Assembly:
• HB 243: Provides that student enrollment in dual credit enrollment courses at a branch of the Department of Technical and Adult Education will not count against the hourly caps for HOPE grants.
• HB 311: Changes the date for qualifying service under the Georgia Hero Scholarship from May 3, 2005 (the date that the Governor signed the original legislation) to Sept. 11, 2001.
• HB 363: Adds Georgia Military College to the list of eligible colleges for HOPE grants for students participating in certificate programs.
Within the 11.7 percent of all state appropriations for higher education, DTAE funding totals $373 million ($450 million total appropriations) and the Student Finance Commission and Authority totals $557 million ($580 total appropriations).
Department of Technical and Adult Education funding in the FY08 state budget
• $2.5 million to the adult literacy program to continue providing services to fill shortfall left by DHR reducing TANF grant.
• $3.1 million for “Quickstart” training for KIA Auto plant workforce.
• $650,000 to a fast track nursing initiative to increase the number of nursing graduates.
• $1.5 million for five start-up or existing career academies funding the Career Academies Act. This was an initiative of Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle.
Georgia Student Finance Budget Funding in the FY08 state budget
• $250,000 in lottery proceeds for recruitment of nursing faculty by providing 25 service cancelable loans for advanced degrees in nursing
• $718,000 in lottery proceeds to serve an additional 359 students for the HERO scholarship
• $500,000 to expand marketing efforts for GAcollege411 to increase access to college
• $3.28 million to increase award amount from $1,000 to $1,100 for Tuition Equalization Grants for private college payments for Georgia students
Note: Governor has NOT signed the FY2008 Budget (HB 95)
Next week: Legislative review of natural resources
Visit the Legislature home page at www.legis.state.ga.us
To view the FY2008 Budget in its entirety: www.senate.ga.gov - Tab - Budget Reports
I want to hear from you.
I may be reached at
234 State Capitol, Atlanta, GA 30334
(404) 656-5038 (phone)
(404) 657-7094 (fax)
E-mail at Jack.Hill@senate.ga.gov
Or call toll-free
Day or night
Reidsville: (912) 557-3811